Saturday, August 28, 2010

Biosphere - Substrata 2 (Substrata + Man With A Movie Camera) (2001)

website
buy

so I was playing dead space and I started hearing this music which I thought was coming from the game, I was like 'holy shit this game has wettt music' but then I realized the music was actually coming from this album which I had left playing on my laptop.

"Ambient albums don't come much more highly respected than 'Substrata', it's a veritable milestone in electronic music. Geir Jenssen, better known to most as Biosphere, managed to compile his grand statement in 'Substrata' - a collection of tracks which best sum up his music and grand vision. Electronic drones, lightly plucked guitar, field recordings and haunting film samples are all thrown into the mix to create something which is less like listening to an album and more like watching a film. I think I can safely say that without this album ambient electronic music would look totally different. Jenssen was the first artist to incorporate all these peculiar elements into his music so successfully and without a hint of cynicism or the stench of new age, and when it was released back in 1997 of course it made waves in the music scene. Touch have generously repackaged the original album with Jenssen's classic score for Dziga Vertov's seminal 'Man With a Movie Camera' which was a collaboration with fellow Norwegian electronic type Per Martinsen aka Mental Overdrive. Jenssen's work was already cinematic, so to hear him working so directly with visuals is a joy, and he triumphs quite marvellously here utilising the same techniques that made Substrata so heartstoppingly addictive. Basically what I'm trying to say is that if you don't own this album, you'd better remedy that straight away..."
via boomkat

No comments:

Post a Comment