
I saved something special for my 100th post. This was one of my favorite things I bought last year. It came with some the coolest inserts I've ever found in an LP, you can see them on this Mississippi Records Illustrated Discography (MR-036)
"...mostly it’s Abner on his six string electric banjo (sonically, its basically a guitar with a nice, sharp attack) with vox & harmonica, kicking out time on a bass drum & high hat, in a style maybe closer to something like Leadbelly -- not exactly blues, typically --I guess technically these would be considered folk ballads, but coming out of a dark, rural funk - deep, deep south. Drugs, depression, women, fishing, Vietnam -- Abner Jay tends to weigh in on themes like these. Jay loved to go off on his background, playing & singing since he was a kid sharecropping on Georgia plantations (c. 1930s), and this stuff is ancient, in form if not content, but I guess most of these tracks were recorded in the ‘60s or ‘70’s, while Jay was an entertainer in Atlanta bars. This stuff is the real deal, & as I’ve said before, one of a kind."
via Exiled Records
No comments:
Post a Comment